Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from March, 2015

Weekly Update #19: Ruk Scar Landscape

A few weeks ago Monte Cook Games commissioned a second piece of work from me. This one described a Ruk native descending some ruins inside a floating city, looking down on a city below that one. This was honestly something I was quite worried about completing. But I'll walk you through my development towards the finished piece. First I created some quick value roughs. I had originally started these as pencil sketches to keep them loose and easy, but began working into a few favourites in order to show the art director some of my personal favourites. One stood out to us all; the bottom left, and it was selected. This was also however the one with the most confusing perspective. I'd knew what I was hoping to achieve but I'd not actually planned much of it out. So what I'd done to fix this was use a program called Carapace. It allows you to draw your perspective lines on your scene and move them freely and it really helped speed up my process. I'd decided to do …

Weekly Update #18: Team17 And Awesome Lighting

I've applied for an internship at Team17 (The guys who make Worms), and they invited me for an interview. Since then I've spent my time travelling up to Leeds where they're based, both visiting them and some friends nearby. I've not yet finished my course but they seemed particularly happy with the work I'm producing and said that hopefully, come graduation the position may still be open for me. Alpha has developed too. We've begun working on lighting tests created by our wonderful TD John Benson: We needed to start figuring out how we were going to produce godrays and create a more atmospheric scene. And so with our other props not allowing for light to filter through them I began to make a tree variant of my own. It only took me a couple days to go from nothing to a finished untextured model but I really like how it turned out. This should hopefully allow for some really nice lighting! Carrying on with university work I've also decided to go back …

Weekly Update #17: Painting Fur

Texturing has been the main goal this week. After rooting out the problems encountered last week regarding displacement maps, we now have our 3D models working perectly within Maya. Now it's on to texturing. This was something I was looking forward to, but again, issues arose. I decided to try learning some new programs in order to try and facilitate faster production times and better results. The main program I was aiming to use was Mari, something I had hear much praise for. However, it's through using Mari I learnt that my mac has not aged well in the last two and a half years. It struggled to even turn around the high poly model. And so after a few days of trying to work out a way of making it usable, I instead opted to transfer my license over to my pc. Suddenly everything works much faster. Suffice it to say, should my mac die... I shalln't be renewing it. I digress, texturing began with the creature first: As you can see there is a gentle progression through th…

Weekly Update #16: Trouble on the Rocks

Today I found out we had lost one of our environment artists. It was a sad thing to hear, especially since we were already running low on environment props and artists. But it had been something I was preparing for too. I had created a short guide (23 pages) for our entire production pipeline after experiencing the rendering issues of last week. This was my attempt to try and halt some of the issues I knew may come up if the other artists were less experienced in programs like Zbrush, and was also an attempt to try and encourage some work out of people. Just in case the idea of not knowing what steps to take seemed like a bit of a daunting task to some of the second year students. Sadly we still lost one of our two artists after this, but I also decided to try and take some time to produce some of the props we may need too. I've been far too focused on making high end characters and creatures etc, I hadn't thought about how long it might take me to actually produce a simple p…