Skip to main content

Final Fantasy's 'Bahamut' Redesign

ConceptArt.org's forums often hold a Creature of the Week contest. Many of my older posts from a few years ago were typically revolved around these contests and I can certainly see how much I've developed from my posts back in 2012... It's been a couple years since I last entered though, and with the latest contest sounding as fun as it did I couldn't resist trying to see what I came up with.

Final Design
This weeks topic was to redesign the Elder Dragon 'Bahamut' from the Final Fantasy series. Bahamut is typically shown as an almost anthropomorphized dragon, with an upright body and large wings. However, I wanted to try spending this time designing a more feral creature.


I started by trying to draw some very strange dragon shapes, adjusting proportions and wing spans. I had an image of a lumbering creature with huge wings and small arms originally.


Eventually I settled on the more typical draconian design, trying to keep the wings the main focus of this silhouette. However I seem realized that this was more wyrm-like, and not as large and bulky as I would have liked.


This design felt much more in line with what I had wanted. A nice reptiallian design, with a solid silhouette and line of action following through the body. The one issue I was worried about detailing however, was the wings. I had a rough copy but this was far from a nice version I could work details and perspective from.


I ended up building a very quick set of wings in Maya and taking several screen shots to make sure I had the angles right. With that down it was time to decide what the face of the dragon would be.


I tried your usual dragon style heads, as well as the more horror types, with beady eyes, or even not any eyes at all.


Now I had my sketch down, and my head designed I threw down some quick values to assign where the focus would be. From here on out it was simply tidying up and making this beast presentable.



And there we have it. A final finished Bahamut Redesign.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating the Donkestra Armour

How do you create armour from a fictional Monster whilst retaining its identity? ( NOTE: This is a sister post to creating the Monster Hunter fan creature: 'The Donkestra'. Donkestra Blog Post ) This was the main question I had had in my mind throughout the entire process of creating the Donkestras Armour. So first I will show you what I ended up with, and how I came to this result: These armours are what I felt came to feel, both individual against the collection of armours Monster Hunter sports, and individual to the base Monster, the Donkestra (seen below) . So to begin with, I have to identify what elements of this creature are particularly iconic to it. What makes this armour recognizable as identifiable as Donkestra hide. and I came up with this: The Donkestras most discernable traits were its large round head, its bright feathers, and its pale skin flaps. With its secondary traits being the dark spines that covered its body. Knowing these traits, I b

Dinovember - Misty Mother

I'm ashamed to admit I don't draw nearly as many Dinosaurs during the Twitter event of 'Dinovember' as I should, but this year I tried. I actually sketched up this quick image during one of my lunch-breaks, and I'm quite happy with it. I'm definitely going to plan on tidying this up at some point. So stay tuned! Misty Mother Sketch

Creating the Donkestra.

I decided it had been a while since I created a ' Monster Hunter ' creature, and an accompanying armour set. And with Monster Hunter: Worlds recent release and success, I figured now would be a good time to begin work on a creature design I had had in my head for a while. (For this blog post I will be focusing entirely on the Donkestra creature design. If you'd like to see how the armour was made you can find the joint blog post here: Donkestra Armour Blog ) So before we begin, let's start at the end. Here is the final design: The Donkestra is a gliding reptile with heavy influences from mammals and birds. It uses skin flaps to glide across the land, whilst its spines and reinforced skull help defend it from predators and hunt down prey. Its hooked tail allows it to both hang upside down as it rests, and to quickly adjust its course mid-flight But originally I had not inteded the creature to work in this manner at all. I had begun work on this thinking